2017-04-27

Resisting...

My main difficulty, I guess, is boredom. The first exercises are F* D* boring. It's like cooking, and I don't like cooking. You spend a long time typing to get an obvious result you could have gotten in less time by typing the output directly. I see no point in doing certain things.

But let's say I understand why. Let's say I understand it has to be like this, and I understand that it's necessary to go through this boredom in order to get farther... or isn't it?

Some people say: "you should have a project, something you would like to do". I agree it could bring more motivation, but how will I have a project, when I don't even know what Python is capable of doing? What kind of project should it be? What could I do? What could I think of? I have no idea.  

I found something online the other day: if you want to be successful, you have to learn how to do things without motivation. True. I have no immediate motivation, but I want to learn Python. Yes, I want to make more money and maybe change careers. But I also want to prove to myself that I am able to learn it. If I don't, if I'm not, then I don't know who I am and never knew who I was.

What brings me hope: many times I think should've done it before. I would've gone much farther by now in terms of career. However, I also understand that I wanted to do different things and had other needs and priorities. I also see how I've been evolving, and I get pretty challenged and obsessed when I can't solve a problem. I persist and keep thinking about it until I get it right. I think this is a good sign.

Also, I'm working with Python 2.7.10 instead of 3.6 right now, because the books I'm following are written for that. And what am I following? After trying a couple of other things, including online tutorials, I'm using Learning Python, by Mark Lutz, and Learn Python the Hard Way, by Zed Shaw. I've been using Atom to write/edit my code, and I like it. Keep in mind I have my husband as a mentor, even though I don't like bothering him too much. He's a software developer and he was the one who told me to start with Python. He gives me homework, but I'm getting used to searching online when I get stuck -- asking him is my last resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment